Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Operation Christmas Child

I know! I'm talking about Christmas and I've skipped Thanksgiving completely. I'm not entirely skipping Thanksgiving but letting you know about something going on this week. 
As a child my family would fill shoe boxes with gifts for children all over the world who were a little (or a lot) less fortunate. This year I am starting the tradition with my own children and I have to tell you I think I got more out of watching them shop for their child.

My oldest chose a girl her age and my second daughter chose a boy. We made a trip to the dollar store and Target and filled the cart with toys, toothpaste and toothbrushes, candy, a note from my daughters and a prayer. It was THAT easy. I would suggest that if you can afford it buy a plastic storage box the size of a shoe box for your gifts. This way the box can be used for other needs after it is emptied.
Tonight, after Daisies, my daughters and I will take the shoe boxes to a drop off location (usually a local church). 


Samaritans Purse has this wonderful feature that lets you track your shoe box so my children will be able to see where their gift goes. Each shoe box requires a $7 donation to cover the cost of shipping and such.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to start this tradition in your home this year. Go to 
for more information and start shopping!

1 comment:

  1. Granddaddy & Grandma have filled theirs for this year also. You are right. It is such a small thing for us to do. It turns into a BIG thing for someone else. It warms our heart to see you and your children participating too.

    ReplyDelete