Sunday, May 29, 2011

Air Travel Kid's Room Ideas

I have two beautiful daughters and I thoroughly loved putting together their baby nurseries and "big girl" bedrooms however, expecting a little boy in the next couple of months has sent my creative juices into overdrive. I have found too many ideas that I "just have" to incorporate into my little guys room. For example. The nursery started out with an African safari theme which has grown to incorporate world travel AND air transportation. Your head is probably spinning right now. (welcome to my world!!!)

I recently returned from our vacation to the OBX and there is this wonderful air travel themed store within Kitty Hawk kites (located right across Jockey's Ridge) that sent my mind into a decorating whirlwind. 





These are just a few of the mobiles that I saw handing from the store ceiling and of course instantly wanted them all. My husband (my voice of reason) gently explained (to the 7 month pregnant woman with crazed wide eyes) that it just might be too much for our young son to take in. We left the store with nothing but I had a load of ideas in my head for a rocking basement playroom some day!


In case you haven't noticed by now, I LOVE to hang things from the ceiling. Both of my girls had hand blown glass balls hanging over their cribs and beds for the first years of their life. It just draws your attention to all parts of the room...not just the walls. This kite idea from Pottery Barn Kids is just screaming imagination. I can picture Curious George holding onto one of the strings right now.



I love these vintage airplane watercolor prints and REALLY love the presentation of them in a grid form. 





Finally, the piece de resistance idea is this paper airplane mobile made out of maps. I am a bit taken with any decorating idea involving maps at the moment so this won me over immediately. I'm sure you could even get your husband involved with this project. What boy does not like to make paper airplanes?!? 
Happy Flying! 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! I just saw that you featured my airplane prints from etsy. Thank you! I started to create them for my best friend's son and production took off (no pun intended). Good thing, too, because my little boy has an aviation theme as well. We are not short on aircraft or hugs in this house. I wish you the best of luck with your newest little aviator and hope that you post a picture of the room when complete. I love getting ideas. A friend of mine also has that authentic model's balloon mobile to fill the space at the top of her staircase. It is very, very cute. Have you seen Restoration Hardware's vintage plane mobile? I may have to get that just for my living room! Thanks again for mentioning my shop and here is a special code for 10% off until Labor Day. If you decide to buy some prints, just enter BIG10THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much! I have not seen the Restoration Hardware mobile yet but now I will have to check it out. I have a few finishing touches to make on the nursery and then I will most definitely be posting all about it. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete