Picture taken by Lisa Flory
This my be cheating a bit with putting pretzel rods in this category of treats on a stick, since you eat the stick, but they are yummy and a stick nonetheless.
I have been making chocolate covered pretzel rods for both of my girls birthday parties since they had their first birthday. I've thought of not making them but the guests tell me how one of the things they look forward to are the pretzel rods!
These treats are VERY easy to make and they are an instant crowd favorite.
1. Buy a bag (or 2,3,4...) of pretzel rods. (I prefer Rold Gold pretzels)
2. Buy Almond Bark chocolate - white and milk chocolate are sold at most grocery stores
(chocolate wafers would work as well and they come in a rainbow of colors)
3. Buy sprinkles of any color and shape
(it is a horrible crime if you do not have some sort of sprinkles in your kitchen)
5. Cover a baking sheet with wax paper
6. Follow the instructions for melting the chocolate on the back of the package
7. Dip the end of the pretzel rod into the chocolate and swirl around until you have a nice coating.
(I use a spoon to help cover a larger portion of the pretzel rod)
8. Lift the the pretzel rod out of the chocolate and swirl again to remove the access chocolate.
9. Sprinkle with desired sprinkles or drizzle with a different color or type of chocolate
10. Lay the chocolate covered pretzel rod on the wax covered baking sheet and put into the refrigerator for approximately 10 minutes.
11. After the chocolate has set after being chilled you can package them in clear bags for gifts, put them in your cookie jar or use them in your next party.
You will inevitably have some broken pretzel rods that I have nicknamed "niblets". I cover these with chocolate and sprinkles as well and my girls (and husband) devour them in no time.
One of the great things about this treat is you can customize them for whatever theme or color scheme you would like. I have made Halloween, Christmas, Valentines, and every color you can think of chocolate covered pretzel rods. If you can think it up then you can make it.
Your guests will thank you!