Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sewing - A dangerously addictive thing

You may have noticed that I have been MIA lately and I do apologize. Between packing for our move in a couple of weeks (a 4 & 2 year old slow the process a bit) and learning a new skill, I have had little time to devote here. My postings will be sparse over the next several weeks but I do hope to share many of the great idea's I've come across and some new resources to utilize in the meantime.

Fabric from Wal-mart & Ragtime Fabrics


I am blessed with a family of great seamstresses and I'm ashamed to say I am only now taking the time to learn the skill. My grandmother is a wonder to watch sew and create. She made my wedding gown and I know that even while I was saying my vows, my grandmother was scolding herself for the "mistakes" only she could notice.
My mother is another skilled seamstress. She made my clothes as a child, even as a teenager indulging me in making a dress one night for an event the following day, reupholstering my forest green sofa into a white one and she is now teaching me how to sew on a sewing machine passed down from my grandmother.

I am creating a "story time nook" for both of my daughter and wanted floor pillows to put in those nooks. I found this wonderful fabric and my mother taught me this past week how to make pillow covers for them.


It is no secret that I am greatly intimidated by the skill of sewing. When my mother suggested making these loop button holes I was assuming she would take on the task but you learn by doing so learn I did and it wasn't hard!

This week I will be sharing some fun (and intimidating but doable) projects that you might like to take on.
You and I might surprise even ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment