Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Beach - Color


I am a firm believer in surrounding myself with color. In some of the first homes that I lived in there was not a single room that was white. If you had asked me 3 years ago if I considered white as a color I would of said no. I have since changed my way of thinking and surprisingly find white a great color, especially when using the coast as inspiration in my home decorating. 
As I have mentioned before, my husband and I are in the final stages of building our home and last week I had the task of picking out all of the paint colors for the house. It is VERY easy to get carried away but I feel that if you stick to a few colors but vary the shades a bit you achieve a calming atmosphere and smooth transitions from room to room. 

The picture above represents the color scheme I have selected for my house. I found a throw pillow that incorporated blue, green, cream, and a sandy shade and built off of that. 

My Home Ideas

As I mentioned before, white can make the colors you choose to accent with stand out even more.

My Home Ideas

One of the problems I run into while decorating with the coast in mind is to not solely focus on the colors of the water. The sandy beaches, colorful sunrises and sunsets, sea grass and not to mention the colorful homes that line most coastal towns. These bright yellow chair covers are a great punch of color that remind me of the warm sun.

Something's Gotta Give kitchen

For all of you who also watch the movie Something's Gotta Give primarily to take decorating notes, I am sure you know about this kitchen. Aside from being my dream kitchen, I think it accomplishes the simplicity and clean lines that a coastal themed kitchen should have. The dark hardwood and black counter tops help to ground the otherwise largely white kitchen.
Simply perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment